Sunday, March 12, 2006


"I find the great things in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving - we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Things are coming together at the house. It might not look like it in these pictures but I'm giving you a glimpse of what life was like in the house for the first couple of weeks.

I have moved many times in my life. When I was offered a job in Texas, although I struggled with my decision, it didn't take me long to say "I'LL TAKE IT!" At some point in everyone's life, I think we sometimes feel like we are sailing against the wind. Working our asses off to get somewhere only to look up and we're 10 feet from the shore. And sometimes life goes by us so quickly that we don't even stop to look at the scenery around us and it quickly passes us by without us even noticing - it's then that we're sailing with the wind. Like the quote above, I had felt for some time that I had been lying "at anchor." I hadn't gone anywhere, I hadn't sailed...I felt as if I had been drifting along and not making progress with anything. Going to Texas was my opportunity to sail. And ironic as it is that I don't care much for boats, I chose to sail.

I was sad to leave behind family. Knowing my mother's penchant for restlessness, I know she would come visit often. And although my sister is content to stay put and live her life, I know she will come to visit as often as she can. I was also sad to leave behind friends. Much of my life was spent moving when Dad got new jobs with DuPont so it wasn't often in my life I was able to stick around and lay roots anywhere. Just when I would find good friends and get close to them it seemed it was time to move. I am grateful now at 34 that we lived the way we lived. I know that I would not be the person I am today without the opportunity to start new. Those experiences early in life allowed me to gather my strength and decide that I was moving to Texas.

For the first time in a long time I feel content. I know that I'm gushing when I say that I wake up and face each day as a freshly cleaned whiteboard. I am having a good time....

just sailing along on my little boat...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home