Monday, April 24, 2006

It was both a happy day and a sad day when I received a job offer from the new company.

This was my chance to break away and make something new of my life. A lot of people harbored such anger for what had happened with our company. I only saw it all as an opportunity. At times I am annoying - I tend to be a "glass half full" type of gal. I can't help it.

The new company's headquarters are several states away - Texas to be exact. When the word was out that some of us had received job offers, feelings were hurt. Friendships were strained. Relationships started to crumble. I don't know who was more hurt - those staying or those going. I tried my hardest to put their feelings before mine. I know it had to hurt like hell to sit and watch friends packing up their lives and moving 1500 miles away.

People close to me questioned my reasons for leaving. Sometimes I think they questioned my decision more than I did. I had a week to say yes or no to the new company. Believe me, I used every second they gave me to make my decision. A big part of me knew instantly that I was going to say yes. But there was still a tiny part of me that wanted to stay and stick it out.

One evening a friend of ours (HI KIM!) sat with us and talked with us while we mulled things over in our minds. She looked at Dottie and she said, "Dottie, I wish you didn't have to go, I'm going to miss you so much!" and she smiled. She turned to me then and she smiled that same smile and said, "I'm going to miss you too but you have to go." At first I wasn't sure what she meant. I mean, here we are, having a girls moment and she's telling me to just GO! We had a good giggle at that point and then it got serious.

Kim knew that I had to go. She knew that my life was kind of at a stand still. She knew that I was itching for something new. While others were upset that I wasn't sticking it out and giving it another chance, Kim knew that it was something I had to do with my life. I was grateful for that extra push from Kim when I was thinking things over.

Without the strength of my friends and family behind me, I never could have made this move by myself. I feel lucky. I haven't had too many down moments since I've moved on with my life. People have kept in touch with me and in turn have kept me company here in this big house. I miss my friends in PA like hell but I'm not sad. I'm making new friends every single day. The people here in Texas are so incredibly friendly.

Did I mention that I feel lucky?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home